Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wordles in the classroom

I've seen Wordles before but never had a use for them. After some thought I realized how much fun they could be for those students that learn best by using art! Students can create a Wordle for every subject:. Here is a sample....In order to create your own you need to have an updated version of Java so I'm thinking if you can't create one online, then students can create their own with paper and markers.



1. Describing a character in a book using character traits (reading)
2. Publish new vocabulary words (All content areas)
3. Practice common multiples (math)
4. Show synonyms (reading)
5. Alternates to the word "said" (writing)
6. equivalent fractions (math)

How would you use Wordles in your room?

5 comments:

  1. I agree that Wordle is a great tool with endless possibilities for use in the classroom! I was thinking of using either Wordle or Tagxedo with my students on character traits of a book we recently finished reading. I like your idea of paper/pencil if the technology piece doesn't work out. It's the same idea, and a great plan B to have in place just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Wordles are great for kids who are visual learners. I know in the past, I once entered my personal blog into Wordle and it combined all of my blog posts. It was really interesting to see what words came up the most in my blogging. Maybe students could try something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Wordle for students who finish work early. Like you said, you can apply it for basically everything. One of my favorite uses is to have them create Wordle's of feelings a character may have had during a novel/text/etc. I'll print out a copy of the Wordle and use it as a discussion piece at the beginning of the next lesson. Not only does it get students thinking, it allows student work to be shown and used as instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Wordles. One of my professors in undergrad introduced them to me and I think they're a really neat way to display information. Like some others have said above using a Wordle allows students to express creativity a little while reviewing content. It's yet another engaging tool I hope to use more of in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great use for the Wordle. I hadn't thought of the visual learner in this regard, but it is a perfect fit! At first I couldn't see the point, but when I see kids interact with this software, the lightbulb goes on!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete